MORE PHOTOGRAPHY GIGS LIKE THIS ANYTIME

You might recall a post where I spoofed my reaction to one of Pete’s daredevil photography techniques: he had stepped out in front of a speeding truck to get a photo.  Yesterday, he received a tear sheet of the ad from the client.  Here’s Pete’s version of the story behind the spoof:

I keep my eye on Craigslist for photography opportunities almost daily. While in Alaska last year, out of habit more than anything I checked the Minneapolis Craig’s and found an ad in which a guy was looking for a semi in a wilderness setting and it had to have a Thermo King unit behind the cab.

Being in the ultimate wilderness setting, Betsy and I were studying every truck on the way to Fairbanks. No luck. So we moved on to other photographic opportunities as we got outside of Fairbanks.

We stopped to take a photograph at a scenic overlook atop a mountain just above Fairbanks. As I got out of the car, I discovered “our” truck parked behind us at the overlook that we just happened to stop at. He was getting ready to pull out so we jumped in the car and raced down the mountain not far ahead of the trucker. Pulled to the side of the road and I ran across the street with my camera seconds in front of the truck going 50 mph down the mountain road.

I had time to snap two photographs.

That evening, I Photoshopped the image and sent a low res version to see if he was interested.

When we returned home, I met with the guy, gave him the digital file and he gave me $350 cash. Not bad for a few minutes work. The ad my photograph was used in recently ran and is below (The tear page was folded).

aktruckad

Related:

LOOK OUT!

, ,

18 Responses to MORE PHOTOGRAPHY GIGS LIKE THIS ANYTIME

1. Ryan February 24, 2009 at 8:32 am #

That’s awesome. And he got a great picture for only having time to get two.

Ryan´s last blog post..Moving Essay (with music)

2. Betsy Wuebker February 24, 2009 at 8:50 am #

Hi Ryan – You just never know, do you? Thanks!

3. Mary Hoffman February 24, 2009 at 9:11 am #

A gift that keeps on giving! I wonder where it will bring Pete next…..

4. Mike Goad February 24, 2009 at 9:15 am #

That is very cool. I remember the original post. Thanks for posting a followup.

Mike Goad´s last blog post..On Climate – a new blog

5. Davina February 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm #

This is brilliant Betsy! I remember that post too. It was one of the first ones I read on Passing Thru. I LOVE hearing success stories like these. Congrats to Pete.

Davina´s last blog post..The Morning Muse — Inspiring Hands

6. Vered - MomGrind February 24, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

” Not bad for a few minutes work.” Not bad at all! What an awesome story.

7. Robin February 25, 2009 at 4:17 am #

Great story Betsy! Pete sounds very resourceful! – and clever.

Robin´s last blog post..The Fountain Of Youth Gets An Update!

8. Betsy Wuebker February 25, 2009 at 7:03 am #

Hi Mary – Yeah, I’m glad it wasn’t slippery on the road! :)

Hi Mike – Thanks, we’ll continue to check but I wonder when another similar opportunity will come around?

Hi Davina – Remember that post? It seemed like one commenter didn’t get my sense of humor if I remember correctly.

Hi Vered – Thank you – you just never know! It works out to something like $2100/hour! LOL

Hi Robin – Thanks! It wouldn’t be the strangest place he’s found himself, but generally he’s after a critter, not a hunk of steel hurtling towards him.

9. Bolaji February 25, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

Wow – great story!

You know – folks could read this and say: $350 for taking two photographs? I could do that!

Those people tend to look at the “cost” of the product. And not the value to the buyer. The buyer wanted something VERY specific. You and Pete put yourselves in a situation to take that photograph. Well done! Who knew… :)

Now – how can you get repeat business from that same client?
    hmmm…

Bolaji´s last blog post..How to hug a blogger (With CommentLuv, they’ll hug right back)

10. Betsy Wuebker February 26, 2009 at 6:38 am #

Hi Bolaji – Welcome – nice to see you here! You’re right – the situation was more about being aware than anything. Or maybe it was the Law of Attraction. :) In any event, it paid for our rental car in Alaska – not bad! Thank you for stopping by.

11. Barbara Swafford February 27, 2009 at 1:36 am #

Hi Betsy – I remember the original story too. This is awesome. Congratulations to Pete.

Barbara Swafford´s last blog post..Like Bees on Honey – Learn to Attract Comments to Your Blog

12. Cath Lawson February 27, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

Hi Betsy – That’s a brilliant story. I remember thinking he was rather daring taking that shot. I didn’t realised he’d photoshopped two pics.

13. Dot February 27, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

Sounds like high adventure! With a payoff!

Dot´s last blog post..Akashic Record Reading, Part 2

14. Jannie Funster February 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm #

$350, not bad at all! A little risk paid off big.

Jannie Funster´s last blog post..Missing things

15. goldensparks February 28, 2009 at 5:30 am #

Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Nice cool blog with exciting stuffs.. Keep up the good work.. Do visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care mate.. Cheers!!!

16. Kathy | Virtual Impax March 2, 2009 at 6:38 am #

I wonder what Evil Kneivel’s hourly rate figured out to be?

I’m sure that in the moment, Pete was enthralled with the “thrill of the hunt” but I think in the future perhaps you should put one of those tether units they put on toddlers on him. That way, you can pull him out of traffic when he is pursuing the perfect shot- which if I remember has put him in harm’s way MORE than once or twice!

Kathy | Virtual Impax´s last blog post..When Someone Steals Your Branding

17. Betsy Wuebker March 2, 2009 at 7:35 am #

Hi Goldensparks – Welcome, and thank you.

Hi Kathy – LOL we just had a laugh at your idea! Or I could use one of those vaudeville hooks LMAO! You’re right, though, Pete doesn’t think about being in potential harm’s way if a great shot presents itself. He got painfully close to a mama moose and her calf in Alaska, and stepped in front of 500 bikers barreling down the street at the Duluth Harley-fest a couple of years ago. There was a cop who was pretty testy about that. :) Great shots, though!

18. Betsy Wuebker March 2, 2009 at 7:40 am #

Hi Barbara – I’m glad you remember the original story – it has been a while since I posted it. Thanks!

Hi Cath – Yeah, he can push the shutter and get a lot of shots in a split second on his camera. We were surprised because the guy wanted a white truck. Thanks.

Hi Dot – Yes, he forgot to mention the trick driving to get to a pull-off on the mountain side ahead of it. There was definitely flying gravel! Thank you.

Hi Jannie – I know! Wish we could make that rate daily 8 to 5, eh? Thank you.