Beautiful Autumn in Fly-Over Land

Map of USA with Midwest highlighted

Image via Wikipedia

The Midwest in the United States is often referred to as “fly-over land” by folks from either coast.  Keep on flying over us, we say.  We get to enjoy what you’re about to see next all to ourselves!

There are other photographers in the family besides Pete.  These shots were taken by his sister and my brother, at places where we have family history: the Meisenbach family farm and the Wuebker family cabin.

These are from the family farm.  We kept “quality not quantity,” as my brother says.  We all agreed that the peninsula jutting into one of the lakes adjacent to the property was where we wanted to be:

The farm is located in an unassuming little Barry County in West Michigan. Not too much that makes the headlines ever happens there. - Photo by John Meisenbach

We like it that way. - Photo by John Meisenbach

There is presence in this land - people and things long past. - Photo by John Meisenbach

Peaceful scenery that others may think ordinary takes my breath away. - Photo by John Meisenbach

This is a view my father often looked at when he was a boy, long ago. - Photo by John Meisenbach

This is the road we take to get to the Wuebker cabin in northern Minnesota. It's between the towns of Longville and Hackensack. - Photo by Jenny Wuebker

The view from the deck of the house toward the lagoon is stunning in any season. - Photo by Jenny Wuebker

Sometimes we have unusual visitors. - Photo by Jenny Wuebker

Other times all we need do is look toward the sky. - Photo by Jenny Wuebker

Mother Earth puts on a performance every day for us.  We’re lucky to have what our families consider the best seats in the house.

Where is your favorite place in Autumn?

Enhanced by Zemanta
In Your Email Every Couple of Weeks
Inspiration and ideas for a simplified, travel-centered life.

Comments

Those photos are food for the soul. I especially love the view from the house towards the lagoon. And the last one.

I did read your finding dimes post too. I’ve always thought if very very good luck, and they do show up in the most unusual places and are signs of great things now and to come.

xoxo
    Jannie Funster has an awesome blog post here: Spaghetti Thing Revisited — a poemMy Profile

Hi Jannie – Isn’t that shot of the lagoon just blissful! Jenny and Jill (the one in the finding dimes story who found the dime in her bed) were up there at the end of September and had a perfect sunny day to take those photos. Thank you for your comment on the dime thing, too. Your take on what it means is lovely.

I didn’t see *all* of these pics on Facebook yesterday, Betsy. Glad I popped over to your blog tonight. They’re all so beautiful! I love the picture of the road to your cabin; a road I would love to take a stroll along.
    Davina Haisell has an awesome blog post here: Puzzled by Your StoryMy Profile

Hi Davina – You’re welcome to come and visit any time. It’s hard to say when the cabin is best. Having been introduced to it in winter, I have to say in that season being there is as if you’ve drawn a curtain to shut out the south where all your daily troubles remain. Maybe that’s true of any time. It truly is another world of simplicity, peace and beauty. With a gourmet kitchen. :)

Hi Lori – Back in the day the smell of fall was burning leaves. Good thing my long term memory isn’t shot! :)

Hi Betsy .. the photos are wonderful .. and to have a family farm with all those memories to reel in, and mist out when the time is right .. or intuition kicks in .. Gorgeous .. and lovely to have family to share with too ..

Love these photos and the love of the family – thanks Betsy .. the cabin must be magical .. it’s frosty here by the coast today & I’d have said that’s early!! & odd .. we rarely get frost .. but I’m a few hundred metres further inland than my previous place!! Tiny differences .. but big change! Cheers Hilary
    Hilary has an awesome blog post here: Will we watch 101 Dalmatians when we’re 90 or when we’re 84 My Profile

Hi Hilary – You’re right, both places are truly magical – in all seasons. Sounds like it’s getting colder where you are; the frost is on its way to Minnesota, too.

“The Midwest in the United States is often referred to as “fly-over land” by folks from either coast.” I had no idea! That’s just silly. The photos are gorgeous.

Hi Vered – I can remember seeing one of those cartoon maps of New York City with vast nothing west of the Hudson, and laughing because it caught the attitude so well. Thanks.

Wow those pictures are really something and make me think of all the days in Ontario and Ohio that have long been spent…Thank you so much for sharing…I got myself a cuppa and just starred at them all.
    Your magazine was great too this month, enjoyed that right down to the last sip.

Betcha can’t say Puyallup???

Good to drop by….I wish I was downsizing our stuff…but my partner is not ready yet….I do not know if my future holds much traveling, which makes me sad, but I am good at virtual explorations which is as lovely as this – any time. Thank you
    Patricia has an awesome blog post here: Energizing the Changes No Stop Action HEREMy Profile

Hi Patricia – I’m so glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a thrill to see our family farm in a season I don’t get to visit in person, too. And thank you for the compliments on our newsletter. We appreciate it so much. Hint: If anyone would like to subscribe, check the right sidebar. :)

Hi again!

Yes, many years ago a then-friend talked about finding dimes being such good luck, and I have always thought so. I even have Finding Dimes on a list of great band names, and have for many years. Who knows? Maybe! Why not?!

And I so enjoyed creating your sidebar I just put up, Betsy. I took your strawberry shortcake photo for it! Hope you like it — it’s one of my favorites, love how the font goes with the graphic. Just wish it could stay up top forever, yet the plan is for it to rotate down for 20 spots.

Hope you and Pete had a good Halloween? Kelly let me eat all her Twizzlers and Dots, so I’m in heaven! :)

xoxo
    Jannie Funster has an awesome blog post here: A Young Ghoul Orders Salt Water Taffy — a poemMy Profile

Hi Jannie – Yay, we have an image in your line-up of usual suspects! I will pop over and check it out. I spent the night before Halloween in Galena, IL with 14,999 others enjoying a huge Halloween parade and a Haunted Dinner at a historic hotel, with paranormal presentation after! Booo! Thank you.

Hi Barbara – Whenever I post about the Northern Midwest, Michigan and Lake Superior, I think of your enjoyment. I am so glad to know that we have this Michigan bond. It truly is Heaven. Thank you.

Trackbacks