Become Location Independent: Ultimate Guide

When we became location independent, we didn’t have a blueprint. The Ultimate Guide to Become Location Independent is exactly the resource we wish we’d had.

When fellow travel blogger Norbert Figueroa asked for opinions on his new e-book, The Ultimate Guide to Become Location Independent, we quickly responded. We were curious to see what he included. And having gone down the path to become location independent ourselves, we wanted to compare. Did Norbert’s conclusions and recommendations stack up against our own experience?

become location independent

Norbert Figueroa is a young architect on the road. After finishing his Master’s in Architecture in 2008, he traveled to Thailand before settling in to work in New York City. Three years later, he quit his job to travel the world for a year, but has yet to return. Norbert’s site vision at Globotreks, his travel blog, is to inspire others to see the world by showing them how possible and affordable it is. He plans to visit all UN listed countries before the end of 2020.

When a resource is touted as the “ultimate guide” your expectation is that it will deliver  comprehensive and detailed coverage of just about every circumstance you might encounter. The Ultimate Guide to Become Location Independent is both intuitive and sequential. Norbert has organized his guide in an visually-attractive format which has reference links and personal interviews to bolster his own substantial authority on location independence.

The things we liked most about this book:

• Comprehensive and Well-organized. There are five meaty sections: Changing the Status Quo, Financing Location Independence, Travel Planning Phase,  Living the Dream and Settling Back.
  • Visual Appeal. It’s fun to read this book! The design is clean and beautiful (an architect’s forte).
  • Case studies. Interspersed within the book’s sections are 10 full case studies done in interview format with full-time travelers. These give you an intimate picture of how location independence and travel style is uniquely individual.
  • Practical Tips and Advice. From financing and debt to travel planning and hacking, there are specific tips and practical advice for both big picture and day-to-day issues.
  • Not Just for Backpackers! So many people think location independence is about youthful vagabonding, camping on the beach or sharing a dorm room in a budget hostel. This book proves you can be location independent at any age and in any way you want!

The Ultimate Guide to Become Location Independent is, quite honestly, the book we wish we’d written about traveling the path to location independence and beyond.

If you’ve ever wondered what it takes to become location independent, or what its feasibility might be given your personal circumstances, this guide will help and encourage! Click here to get it at the introductory price of $20. (After February 28, it will be priced at $27).

Please note that this post contains affiliate links from which we will earn a small commission should you purchase.

Comments

Hi Suze – That’s kind of the point, isn’t it! Wherever you wish for however long you want. Try a place out, and if you don’t like it, you’re free to move on. If you do want to settle down for a bit or for a long time, you’re free to do that. :)

Hi Susan – How exciting! This guide might have just the information you require to make your best decision.

For many years I thought it was my dream – but in the end I don’t think it is. I’ve just bought a delightful house (well the location more than the house) – and basically my partner and I see this as a base from where we’ll travel for maybe 3-4 months a winter – possibly doing a home exchange
    Lis Sowerbutts has an awesome blog post here: Still Not Too Old To Rock Scramble!My Profile

Hi Lis – we defined location independence at first very similarly to the situation you describe. It’s all about having a choice to go when you want, and it certainly can include having a home base. I needed one at first.

This sounds like a book worth reading. I like the idea of becoming location independent, but not sure I want to become fully location independent. The book might give some insights into what is involved and whether it might be for me or not.
    Donna Janke has an awesome blog post here: Tubac ArtsMy Profile

Hi Donna – it can seem like a very big step. We ate the elephant in small bites, and it has turned out great. I hope you enjoy the book.

Hi Noel – It’s a good idea. There are a few posts out there that rate digital nomad locations in terms of affordability and accessibility, as well as posts that do detailed breakdowns on monthly costs. We’re probably too slow as travelers to come up with a sufficiently sized sample on our own. :)

Hi Charles – Part-time nomad is definitely do-able. Back when we first discussed becoming more nomadic, I wasn’t ready to give up the home base. Home exchanges might have worked for us then. House sitting definitely works for lots of people whether they are full time or part time nomads.

Like you, Betsy, when we decided in 2011 to become location independent there were no road maps to follow and we knew of only a couple of other baby boomers who were doing the same thing. Fast forward just a few years and, in addition to some awesome blogs, terrific resources like “The Ultimate Guide To Becoming Location Independent” are available. This looks like a great book for those who are on the fence trying to decide if a traveling lifestyle is for them or for those who have some questions.
    Anita @ No Particular Place To Go has an awesome blog post here: The Kunuku Homes of CuracaoMy Profile

Hi Anita – It truly is a great guide to consult. Norbert has thought of just about everything one might imagine.

Hi Gypsynesters – Yes, that’s really all we had, too. The 4 Hour Work Week was inspiring, but it never even approached the nitty-gritty like this book does.

Hi Carol – It’s got the individual sections, which are a sequential roadmap, or formula, yes. They are very detailed.

Hi Suzanne – I think it’s important to point out that location independence doesn’t necessarily mean nomadic. It’s more about having the freedom to go when you want and return somewhere if that’s what you want. Kind of the opposite from the regular 9 to 5, 50 weeks a year lifestyle which ties an employee down to one place.

Hi Keyra – It’s a great question to ask, and it depends upon your country of citizenship. For example, as U.S. citizens, we maintain an address in the U.S. to which our mail is sent, etc. and we file U.S. taxes. The book goes into greater detail on this subject and that of extended residency.

I think our location independent lifestyle is a little different than others who have commented here since we carry our (mobile) home with us wherever we go.
    This book sounds interesting for people who are making the decision, but do you think there is information for people like us? For example, are any of Norbert’s case study interviews with ‘overlanders’ = people travelling in some form of mobile home for an indefinite period?
    Yasha Langford has an awesome blog post here: On The Road AgainMy Profile

Hi Yasha – At least one of the couples interviewed – the Makepeaces of yTravelblog – are overlanders. (Love that term!) They’ve been 16 months on the road in Australia.

I’ve been semi-location independent for many years. When I left Canada I worked myself into a job that gives almost 6 months vacation a year. I travel. However, I am now trying to do the transition to earning my living on-line, so that I can live wherever, and whenever I want. I know that I’ll always want to have some kind of a base (even if its just a room somewhere to store my stuff when I’m wandering). I guess I’ve just talked myself into buying this book…haha
    Nancie has an awesome blog post here: Chiang Mai: Sticky Rice Tea for Travel Photo ThursdayMy Profile

Hi Nancie – LOL! Funny how that happens! I totally understand wanting to have the base, because that’s how we rolled for more than three years. (And for one of those years, we decided to stay put in a new location with no traveling at all.) The beauty of it all is you get to call the shots.

Hi Cathy – He’s really done a great job with this book, and I’m a new fan of his writing on the blog. So fun that you’ve met him! Let me know how you like the book. :)

Hi Jessica – It would have been really nice to have this book to shave off some of the time we spent stumbling through. :)

Now this is the kind stuff travel bloggers should be writing. It just sounds like it has so much meat to it as opposed to the typical fluff of “Oh I quit my job to travel and so can you” where they don’t really tell you much more than that cool feature image of them chilling somewhere exotic. As a part time traveller (because we love our job, we love the money we make, and yes, we love having a home) I’m definitely interested in reading this, because well, just because it sounds so much more realistic and achievable.
    Revati has an awesome blog post here: Comment on Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur : The best view in the city by Jessica (Barcelona Blonde)My Profile

Hi Revati – There will always be those who “fake it ’til they make it” and others, like Norbert, who are walking the talk. It is realistic and achievable to incorporate more freedom into your life no matter how you define what that means.

Hi Michele – I think it’s imperative to consider a long term strategy. Most, if not all, the short term strategies I’ve encountered aren’t realistic. So people chase one after another when they could be using their time to develop something that will be sustainable further out.

Sounds like an interesting read. As much as I love to travel and experience new people and places I still need a home base. Kudos to all of you who have managed location independent lives.
    Sue Reddel has an awesome blog post here: Going GypsyMy Profile

8. Helen Quinn says

It’s all wonderful but seems quite dependent upon income: money. I am a retired college professor but am on a true budget because of the lack of bargaining in my state. Seriously, can this be done with a working class lifestyle? I would very much like to know. Thank you.

Hi Helen – You certainly don’t need to be rich to travel. When we examined our expense load, the main things pertained to home and auto: acquisition (including financing costs), maintenance and upkeep, furnishings and accessories, taxes and insurance, etc. When those were gone, there was money available. I think we can always find an excuse to say something isn’t affordable, but the reality may be other deeper reasons. Some people aren’t comfortable with the uncertainty associated with not having a home base or a steady income if they’re working. Others, like us, have embraced the opportunity (or in our case, necessity) to keep working when others are thinking only of working no longer and depending upon retirement income in whatever its guises. It’s true that a life of travel doesn’t work for everyone, and that’s okay, but it’s important to be truthful with ourselves about the reasons behind our choices and what we perceive our limitations, whatever they may be.

Thanks for sharing this book with us. It’s great to know where you got your inspiration from and is something we will most likely look at too! I think for us we are trying to find a few answers here and there but ultimately have no real idea at this stage how things with go and what we will do. We just have to trust ourselves that we will make it work instead of worrying! Sometimes the only way to make yourself swim is to jump in the water!
    Roaming Renegades has an awesome blog post here: Capturing the atmosphere of PRAGUE & the drug of TRAVEL!My Profile

Hi Renegades – We really wish we’d had this book before we set out on our journey to location independence. Working things out yourself can be a great way to learn, but it would have been nice backup when we reached a roadblock. :)

I think the idea of being location independent is a marvellous one! In many ways, we who travel a lot are already part way there because of the internet. We can do our work from virtually anywhere in the world with a decent connection. But I would love the ability to just travel from one place to another without worrying about a home base. Maybe some day …
    Doreen Pendgracs has an awesome blog post here: chocolate ravioli a hit at April 4th dinnerMy Profile

Trackbacks