5 Future Travel Destinations We Have On Our Radar

Part of the fun of full-time travel is figuring out where you’re headed. These intriguing destinations are currently on our radar:

1. India

Those of you who follow us on Facebook may remember that we’d planned an extended stopover in Mumbai on our way to Europe from Singapore. That didn’t happen due to a misinterpretation of visa-on-demand requirements on our part, and disinclination of India’s High Consulate in Singapore to process paperwork in sufficient time to allow us entry and exit in accordance with plans we were unable to change. This disappointing (and intimidating, truth be told) experience notwithstanding, we still have the Taj Mahal and other experiences on our list. A guided tour from Saga Travel caught our eye because it not only includes the Taj Mahal, but also looks after all the details like those that got away from us.

future travel destinations

Taj Mahal – Photo Credit: Saga Travel

2. Antarctica

Because it’s the 7th continent (not that we’re counting – okay, maybe we are!) and because. . . penguins!!! This one is going to take some doing, but it’s not impossible. We’ll be investigating all manner of work-arounds from the traditional excursions. Already we’ve heard several different ideas which save money on what can be an experience that runs into the 5 figures. This destination is going to take some research and ingenuity. We’ll keep you posted.

3. The Balkans

We visited Central Europe last year on our way to the Sochi Olympics, and we want more experiences in this region. Specifically, we want to go off the beaten track. Albania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia and even Serbia are contenders. The appeal is on multiple levels: for sure there is the “less-visited” factor. But even more appealing is that these are primarily non-Schengen designated destinations, which means we can extend our time in Europe in excess of the 90 days we’re allowed in Schengen territory this summer.

future travel destinations

Budva, Montenegro – Photo Credit: Saga Travel

4. Uruguay

Not just because Uruguay ranks first in Latin America in terms of democracy, peace, lack of corruption, freedom of the press, size of middle class, prosperity and security. Not just because Uruguay’s economy, innovation, infrastructure and per capita income is high. Not just because Uruguay performs well on personal rights, tolerance and inclusion issues. Not just because Montevideo has the highest quality of life of any city in Latin America. More because Montevideo and Uruguay might be a little less fancified, a little more authentic, and – just perhaps – more interesting in their own right.

5. South Africa and Namibia

Last year in Prague, we met a young man from Namibia who was there studying on an agricultural exchange. What? Isn’t Namibia only sand dunes? We were fascinated by his stories, and vowed to visit. Right next door is South Africa, with a gazillion opportunities to immerse in a wildlife experience. Whether that takes the form of a traditional safari or something more unusual, who’s to say at this point? All we know is this region beckons.

future travel destinations

Namibia – Photo Credit: Saga Travel

While it’s probably not possible for us to see all these destinations in the space of the next year (or even two), they keep popping up when we discuss plans for the future. It has been interesting to reflect on places we really, really want to see and how our ideas and plans have modified. Also, we think it’s always okay to reserve the right to change your mind about future travel destinations, too, so maybe this list could change!

How about you? What future travel destinations are on your radar?

Disclosure: This article was written for the friendly folks over at Saga Travel which offers unforgettable experiences to inspire over-50 travelers. From the perfect independent getaway to VIP door-to-door service in exotic destinations, Saga provides unbeatable travel value in the style you choose.

Comments

Hi Suze – I was just looking at a hotel in Sofia this morning, part of the SPG luxury collection. Something ridiculous like $60/night on SPG escapes for a short time. Crazy!

Hi Manfred – Wow, you’re really covering a lot of places. How are you getting around? Driving or public transport?

Hi Toni – We’ll definitely share once we get going on the research. This destination will be a long-term project to arrange. 🙂

Hi Zof – You’re not alone. We keep hearing from people who are enchanted with this region and that’s why it made the list.

LOVE IT when you state: “More because Montevideo and Uruguay might be a little less fancified, a little more authentic, and – just perhaps – more interesting in their own right.” SO TRUE. I have visited pretty much all of Latin America. Uruguay was my last stop on my latest trip. And I absolutely loved it. I have a post on it on my blog, if you need more info to start planning your trip 🙂
    Claudia has an awesome blog post here: The top seven things to do in UruguayMy Profile

Hi Claudia – So happy to read your comment and I’ll be sure to check out your post. I love how the Universe validates an idea by putting resources in front of us when we put it out there! Thanks!

Oooh, India is high on my list of countries to travel to too although I’m a bit apprehensive about how safe it would be for a solo female traveller. Antarctica really is the final frontier of travel, it’s so expensive to get to!

Hi Stephanie – Your apprehension is shared about India, for sure. But we keep hearing that it can be a wonderful experience for the prudent solo female traveler as well. And yes, Antarctica is the final frontier.

Hi Patti – Each of us is unique as a traveler and it sure makes life interesting to follow others along on their own journey, as we are with you. 🙂

I visited Bulgaria as a teenager and really advise you to stay away from the tourist destinations if you are interested in the local way of life, although you probably weren’t planning a trip to Sunny Beach anyway. Have you visited the North of Europe? I’m from Finland myself and Northern Europe offers a very different experience compared to other European countries – the nightless nights, when the sun doesn’t set at all, are something that tourists come to experience every summer 🙂

My favourite countries in Europe, however, are Italy, where I live part time, and the UK, where I studied for 3 years. You won’t find better food in the world than in Naples, Italy, and nothing compares to the London vibe – a city you won’t get tired of in a million years.
    Saana / Always Abroad has an awesome blog post here: How to London like a true LondonerMy Profile

Hi Saana – No, we’re not really ones for tourist destinations and would prefer to get off the beaten path to the less-visited locations as much as possible. That said, Sofia would still be on the list. I’ve been to Norway and would love to return to Scandinavia and visit the Baltic region as well. If this list were 10 destinations on our list, the Baltic region would have been on it.

Uruguay! I have never been but I did live in Chile and visited Buenos Aires twice. I have a friend who moved there from America and is in love. He always raves about how great it is over there, it intrigues me and it is definitely on my bucket list as well.
    Yvonne has an awesome blog post here: Durbuy. The smallest city in the world.My Profile

We have only been to one of the destinations you mention. Uruguay and we just loved it but not for any of the reasons you mention. It is just a really nice place with friendly people and very easy to travel in. David won’t go anywhere without a car and Uruguay is the only Sth American country where I haven’t been terrified most of the time – lol. If you do go, don’t miss Colonia del Sacramento.
    Lyn aka TheTravellingLindfields has an awesome blog post here: War Memorials – to commemorate ANZAC Day.My Profile

Hi Lyn – Hahaha the way people drive in other countries can be terrifying indeed. Glad to hear Uruguay gets positive marks from you!

It’s good to have a goal . . .

And in your case the goals are super-cool! I agree with all of your reasons — plus love the lovely way you romance the words. I hope you make your travel plans come true in the not too distant future.

South America is especially intriguing with diversity and landscape galore. Plus friendly locals and deep heritage.

Wishing you safe and happy travels,
    Josie
    Josie has an awesome blog post here: 5 Distilled Travel Tidbits From Around the World: April 2015My Profile

Hi Josie – Thank you so much. We have yet to have any experience with South American culture and destinations and we want to remedy that.

I love all of your choices, particularly the Balkans, India and Uruguay. Actually I love them all and will be so interested where you decide to go. We have many on our radar also and it is a toss up for us as where next. I think it is time to turn our globe around a bit as we seem to have mainly visited and re-visited Europe and Asia and obviously the South Pacific. Might be time for a spin soon.
    Paula McInerney has an awesome blog post here: Nanaimo, BC: Outside My Front DoorMy Profile

8. Carol Colborn says

Well…our list is almost like yours…and we are tackling one of them this October! The Balkans! Then we figure out when the rest will be! And add Australia to the list!

Hi Nancie – Yes, the Euro is pretty even with the dollar at the moment so Europe is very affordable. 🙂

Hi Juergen – Great tip! Although I do admit that the language barrier is somewhat intimidating when it comes to street names, etc. 🙂

Hi Sue – Yes, when we learn about new places, chances are pretty high we add them to the list, too.

Hi Zascha – At first I thought it might not be a “big enough” reason to go, but then I thought “Why not?” 🙂

Hi Suzanne – Yes, our needs are quite simple when you think about it, aren’t they? 😉

Hi Gypsynesters – Sometimes I wonder about the effect of the travel blogging bubble on destinations choices. At TBEX we’ve heard a lot of “I’m going to the Balkans right after this.”

India and Antarctica are both tops on our list, as well. We can’t say enough good things about the Balkans; a good choice, that. You must go!!! We managed to spend a few days in Croatia and Montenegro a couple of years ago while we were on an Adriatic cruise and it’s given us serious Balkan fever.

Also, we were suitably impressed with their wines, so much so that we now look for them whenever we can. Thanks to so many years behind the Iron Curtain Balkan wines are relatively unknown, but they used to be as popular as French or Italian, if not more so. Fun fact: Winston Churchill’s favorite wine was from Macedonia (present day FYROM) and he liked it so much he ordered it by the barrel.
    Linda Bibb has an awesome blog post here: 10 Adriatic Cruise Ports You Need to VisitMy Profile

Hi Linda – I’m so happy to hear this about the Balkans. And I am so interested to read your post on Adriatic ports. Everyone seems to have loved the region. Fun fact about Winston Churchill, too. Thanks! 🙂